If you are just starting your way in craft beer brewing, then surely you want to know more about the equipment required for the production of alcoholic beverages.
And the first thing to think about for the future owner of a brewery or restaurant is – what are kegs and what sizes do kegs come in?
Let’s start from the beginning: kegs are special tanks designed to store various types of beer. They keep the drinks fresh, fragrant, and delicious for longer.
Keg comes in different sizes, which are selected based on the production capacity of your establishment.
After reading our article, you will find out how to choose the appropriate capacity, what keg prices are, and where to buy a keg.
1/4 Keg (Pony Keg)
1/4 keg or quarter keg is the most versatile beer storage tank used in commercial brewing. This low squat barrel is also known as the Pony keg.
It is not too large, but not too small, so it is one of the most popular models used in almost every brewery.
- The dimensions of the tank are 13⅞” x 16⅛”, so you can decide whether it is suitable for your needs.
- The weight of an empty barrel is 22 pounds, and 90 pounds when filled with beer.
Let’s move on to the most interesting part, namely, how many beers in 1/4 keg. This barrel holds 7.75 gallons of alcoholic beverages.
Do you measure the capacity in liters and do not know how many beers are in a quarter keg? This tank is designed to store 29 liters of beer.
1/2 Keg (Half Barrel Keg)
1/2 keg can be called one of the largest barrels used in the industry. Ideal solution for large breweries or bars!
- The dimensions of the half-barrel keg are just over 23 inches high and about 16 inches in diameter.
- The weight of the empty barrel is 30 pounds. If you fill it to the top, the weight of the keg will be 160 pounds.
And now, how many beers in a 1/2 keg? So, 1/2 keg holds 15.5 gallons (58.7 liters).
1/6 Keg (Sixtel Keg)
1/6 keg is one of the smallest barrels used in commercial production. As a rule, it is chosen when you need to test some new recipe or release a limited batch of alcoholic beverages.
- Dimensions: 23 ⅜ x 9 ¼ in.
- The empty barrel weighs 16.5 pounds versus 58 pounds when it is full.
So, how many beers in a 1/6 keg? You will be able to use the barrel to store 5.16 gallons (20 liters) of beer.
Factors Influencing Keg Prices
Ready to know how much kegs cost?
The cost of the products is affected by:
- Their size: the larger the barrel, the more expensive it is;
- Material: the highest quality kegs are made of special stainless steel. Such barrels can be a little more expensive.
- Manufacturer. Products of popular brands cost more than no-name products.
- The quantity of kegs you plan to buy. If you plan to buy a large batch, you can count on wholesale prices or a discount.